Sunday 16 March 2014

Phnom Penh, Cambodia: Fried crickets aren't that bad

After arriving at the airport, we took a tuktuk to the hostel/hotel that we booked. It was a very basic non-airconditioned room with a fan, a small TV and an ensuite bathroom. Our first stop was The Royal Palace which was beautiful.

Different views of the silver pagoda (I thought they were all different buildings when I was sorting out the photos) which houses many national treasures such as gold and jeweled Buddha statues. Most notable is a small 17th century baccarat crystal Buddha (the "Emerald Buddha" of Cambodia) and a near-life-size, Maitreya Buddha encrusted with 9,584 diamonds dressed in royal regalia commissioned by King Sisowath (via Wiki).

Stupa of King Suramarit.

Left: Moonlight pavilion (I think?)
Right: Hor Samran Phirun

Another picture of the Moonlight Pavilion in my opinion. The thing about these buildings is that they look totally different from different angles! So when I did a google search, I'm not entirely certain whether I'm looking at the right view.

When we came out from the royal palace, this boy approached our Cambodian friend and asked her to buy some dried corn to feed the pigeons. She did and gave us a pack too. The boy looked so happy keeping his money that we bought another pack of corn from him. I took a photo with him and he told my friend in Khmer that he looked like charcoal next to me but nonetheless he gave a huge smile and held up a peace sign. :)

We went to Diamond Island to pick diamonds! :) Diamond City Hall sure stands out among the Khmer architecture.

And I tried fried cricket. I couldn't eat it at first but then my friend removed the head and I found it so much easier to put it into my mouth without the eyes looking accusingly at me. It actually tasted quite nice, the seasoning rather. I ended up eating more than I thought I would..

The next day we headed to Central Market to have lunch and I really do enjoy visiting local markets as I've mentioned before. So full of life! We planned to go to the Killing Fields and the Genocide Museum after lunch but we were so tired due to the heat and the dust that we decided to just walk around town and rest before our long bus ride the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment