Thursday 14 November 2013

London, England IV: Borough Market and Camden Town
























Borough Market, the place where delicious sight and smell mingle.The bubbling atmosphere engulfs you almost instantaneously. I was so excited! My eyes dashed around, not knowing what to focus on. I wanted to get my hands on everything but sadly my stomach disagree. I had fish and chips from Fish Kitchen, because after all I am in London. Then I had a grilled cheese bread which was so heavenly but so sinful. Then I washed everything down with coffee from Monmouth Coffee Company which boosts the best brew in town. Other recommended food here include duck sandwich, beef sandwich, paella, good old cheese and I'm thinking that if you have the chance, you should just try everything HA.











To digest all that food in my tummy, I decided to take a nice slow (but very long) walk to King's Cross where I finally pushed a cart into Platform 9 and 3/4!! There were two ladies stationed there providing scarves (I took Gryffindor's) and taking photographs. You can get the photographs printed from the Harry Potter shop next door for about 10 pounds? I can't remember. There are loads of other Harry Potter merchandise sold in the shop, like wands, pullovers in house colours, scarves and books. I was pretty thrilled to pick up a wand and wave it around, too bad no warm glow surrounded me. And I really wanted to see the platform itself and the Hogwarts Express!

















Camden Market was bursting with life. Lots of shoppers streaming in and out and there were people holding up signs directing you to their tattoo and piercing shops. I felt as if people might snigger behind my back for being so un-punkish. But still, look at buildings with their 3D designs! This is the place you can get cheap(er) goodies in London, accessories, clothes, shoes, bags, everything is here.













Stables Market is one enchanting place. You can find antiques, collectables, leather products, food, vintage clothing, the list goes on. If you imagine everyone wearing robs and sporting a wizard's hat, doesn't this place look like a market where Professor Sybill Trelawney shops at? Or is it just me? Haha.









I didn't have time to explore Camden Lock Village which is situated by the canal.  I did walk down the quieter side of the canal and there was a man shouting incomprehensible gibberish while waving at passers-by. Besides that, it felt like a hidden haven, where you can escape from the crowd of shoppers. I loved the boats parked at the side, wish I could go in and take a look but the owners weren't home so too bad. Then there was this open air place where people just sat down and ate! It was really great and lively and incredibly packed. But it was time for me to head back to the hostel, pack my things and leave for Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment