Sunday 5 January 2014

Vienna, Austria I: Wanderlust

I like wandering around in a foreign city with a map in hand but no destination in mind. I just walk to wherever my legs carry me or whatever captures my attention. So I've no idea what I saw most of the time but I think it's a good way to explore the city.

















1&2) Volksgarten with beautiful roses.
3&4) I really regretted not going inside the Austrian National Library because I saw photos of the interior afterwards and it's so gorgeous!
5&6) I think this is a concert hall but I can't seem to find the name of it.
7&8)  Hofburg Palace which I didn't enter either.









Photos taken while I was roaming around Stephansplatz which is the city centre. Last two photos are of St. Stephen's Cathedral which is so hard to capture because there wasn't enough space to move back to get the whole cathedral into a one frame.







Danube river runs through Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Moldova, Ukraine and Romania. It flows through four capital cities (Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and Belgrade), more than any river in the world. Next time when I travel around Eastern Europe, I shall just follow this river. The walls at the river bank are all covered in graffiti.













I was actually looking for the flea market but the station where I alighted happened to be where St. Charles's Church is located. Then I walked around, taking in the beautiful buildings in Vienna, I reached Belvedere Palace and Museum but it was already closed.



To end the post, let me introduce you to Vienna's best ice cream shop, Eis-Greissler! My friend brought me there and lucky for us, the queue that day wasn't too long. One cup/cone (you can choose two flavours) costs 1.50 euros! I got Cherry and Butter cookie while my friend had Elderflower sherbet and Caramel. I think the Elderflower sherbet was extremely refreshing and the scent is so lovely! Try it if you're there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment