Saturday 12 July 2014

Whanganui, New Zealand: Where I met a herd of curious cows





I didn't do much in Whanganui since my arm was in sling. I wanted to go to the Whanganui National Park but I didn't want to fracture the other arm so I settled for a nearby park instead. I spent the evening there with my sandwich, capturing birds and enjoying the sunset glow over the park. Doesn't the pavilion look like the one in Singapore Botanical Gardens? I really liked how calm the park was and this old couple walked past and told me to watch my arm haha.


On the way back to the hostel, I caught sight of the moon. IT WAS SO ROUND AND HUGE. I was so mesmerized that I stood there for a good five minutes admiring it.








The next day I walked around the town center which reminded me of Napier. Adorable shophouses line the streets, I think it looks right out of a cowboy film set.





Then I went for a little hike up the hills surrounding Whanganui. There was a herd of cows up the hill and as I climbed over the fence to continue my hike, they all started moving towards me. It may sound cute but it was really scary!! There were at least 20 of them and 1 of me. I was so frightened that they might run over me or knock into me and send me flying. Ok maybe I was exercising my imagination a little too much but I mean it's better to be safe than sorry when you've only got one good arm! So I walked away quickly, even though they didn't follow me, their eyes did. When I was heading back, I had to pass by this place again and this time they were really near the fence where I was supposed to climb over to get home.. I wanted to run but I thought that a sudden movement was not a good idea so I inched towards the fence, praying hard. They were approaching me, coming closer and closer, but thankfully I finally managed to climb over the fence before they got even nearer. I never knew I could be that scared of cows.. I know they are supposed to be gentle creatures, but trust me, if you were me, you would be pretty scared too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment